Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Holding hands

I've been wondering about this for quite some time already. Why do couples hold hands? Is it to show each other their affection? Or, to a guy, to show off his dominance over the girl? Normally you see a couple holding hands, they are usually the younger ones, who just started the relationship. A year down the road, if they are lucky enough to still be together, they might not even be walking together anymore, let alone still be holding hands? Weird? As the time goes by, you get used to each other. Does that mean you don't need to show each other anymore affection. Or in reality, you have fallen out of love? Just hanging on to the relationship until someone else comes along?
Let me share with you my experience. Want to know how Sunshine held my hand for the very first time? I had this pair of Nike shoes. It was an expansive new arrival edition. Unfortuntely, I had a few falls wearing those shoes. So, whenever I see a wet floor, I will be extra careful. One fine day, Sunshine invited me to a badminton game. At that time, we were not officially a couple yet. I really liked him. But he has not shown any interest. I wasn't sure whether he felt the same way or not. I agreed to join the game. He came to pick me up. As he was hungry, he decided to have dinner first. We went to this mamak stall for roti canai. After that, while walking towards the car, which was parked across the road, one cleaner had to mop the floor. I took extra precaution. I stopped a moment and looked. Sunshine knowing what was in my head, immediately took the opportunity to hold my hand then and guide me over the wet floor. And he never let go, until we reached the car. And I too did not let go. Total silence. I didn't know what to say and he too did not utter a word. We sat in the car and he drove to the badminton court in silence. I must say, at that time, I was feeling right on top of the world! At that very moment too, I was sure that he liked me as well. Holding my hand confirms it all. That was five years ago.
Ah, that is such a sweet memory. Coming back to time, the present moment. I feel that Sunshine does not hold my hands that often anymore. Sometimes we walk our separate ways when we go shopping. I am not sure why this is happening. As I observed, only the younger couples hold hands when they go out together. As you mature through the relationship, maybe couples feel that you don't need to show anymore affection as you already know deep inside the love for each other.
I've got another holding hands story to tell here. There was once I met a friend's grandparents in the market. At that time, they were pretty old, maybe 70. I was so amazed that this old couple were still holding hands. It was so loving. In my thoughts, I dreamed that I would be like that one day when I am old. I met my friend and told him the incident. And you know what was his reply? He said that was because his grandfather could not see, that is why his grandmother was guiding the old man!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quoting Sunny Side Up:
"Or in reality, you have fallen out of love? Just hanging on to the relationship until someone else comes along?"

comments:
my relationship is 4 years old. and the only time we do NOT hold hands is:
1. after an argument
2. when i'm throwing my tantrums, waiting to be pacified & pampered / waiting for an apology
3. when either of us is having our hands busy (eg: helding on the shopping bags)

he'll only let go off my hands when he knows i had to flip / browse at some clothes in the shopping mall or when i'm trying on a shoe.
sometimes, i wonder if it's a routine already or that we've got too used to holding hands that if we don't; it signals the 3 reasons.
i agree: it could also mean that "you've fallen out of love" / "hanging on to the rel until someone else comes along" too cuz there is no more sparks / adrenaline rush in that brief contact.
holding hands now seems to mean nothing more than putting on a shoe before getting out the house.

Sunny Side Up said...

darl, you'd better hold on to that relationship then. Hardly do I see a couple (and you said 4 years) holding hands. He must be a very loving guy then. Keep him!

Anonymous said...

did i say i'm letting go?? no! not yet. i AM still holding on. and that is why we're stil going strong for 4 years and 8 months dee..
i know he's a nice guy. and sometimes i think i just don't deserve him. or that he deserves better. hmm..maybe one day, when he realizes this, he might be the one who does not want to keep me anymore. sob sob~

Anonymous said...

holding hands is one of the stages that a relationship goes thru. as with kisses, sex, touching, hugging and other stuff. every once in a while, these stages are revisited. if u have stop holding hands, u might be doing something else. when the relationship is strong, these actions are not necessary. however, a kiss, a hug, a pinch in the rear would be a pleasent surprise.

Anonymous said...

What a great site
Free remove spyware ware Laptop gps program Adderall overprescribed ppc media inc wooden dancing man instrument sc powerball live lamborghini turnkey replicas Adderall order online shipped c.o.d Adderall xr lasts Adderall fatigue Heater core mercury sable How to pass mcse exam easy and quickly Loss+of+hair Rental apartments nerja Zithromax order id 420603 adderall Online pharmacy cod adderall