Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I woke up late today. My landlady thought something was wrong with me, she came knocking on my door. I was still sleeping as I start work at 12 again.
Nothing interesting happened today. There is nothing in particular to blog as well. Asked my colleagues for inspiration. Then one colleague, who refused to be named in my blog gave me an idea. Let's call her NATK. The issue happened to me before and it happened to her just last week.
You know, you can click on reply or forward on the e-mails that you received. Once, I had this nasty customer, he e-mailed me demanding certain free stuffs like I owned this company, and I can give freely anything that I feel feasible to customers. I was pretty pissed. So, one fateful evening, I replied his mail. My intention was to forward the mail to my boss. What I wrote was, "I'm sick of this guy already, let's just cancel, it's -ve by the way." And I clicked send. All this happened in less than half a minute. Right after the mail was sent, I realised what I had done, and I remember screaming, "Oh my SHIT!" But it was too late. The mail was sent. I quickly tried to recall the mail. It was too late. The customer replied my mail, "Is this how you treat your customers?" I called him to apologise and make lots of excuses that the mail is not actually for him. Well, I'm sure he knows that I meant him. He bought the system without any further negotiation. Case closed. I informed boss immediately in case there is any escalation.
So, what happened to NATK? It was similar. But hers was nicer. She clicked on reply instead of forward and wrote, "Damned chee bye, you still entertain her?" And unintentionally clicked send. As willful as she might try to recall the mail, again, same fate as me, it was successfully sent. Not long later, the customer wrote to NATK's boss letting her know that she recieved a disturbing mail from yours truly, NATK. And then, you get mails of apology flying around.
Another lesson to be learnt today: Make sure you click the right buttons, wrong buttons can cause serious injuries! E-mails are created to make your life easy, don't abuse it.

No comments: