Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Something grander than CNY : Pai Ti Kong 拜天公
At the stroke of midnight, red fire-crackers could be heard and beautiful fireworks could be seen decorating the night sky. The atmosphere felt much much grander than CNY itself. I was busy clicking away, trying to capture the amazing fireworks. Though we didn't have any fire-crackers or fireworks, many people from the neighbourhood were putting on theirs as if there was a competition of whose fireworks is the best.

This celebration was to worship the Jade Emperor, who saved the many Hokkiens in some cosmic battle long long time ago. Til today, the Hokkiens offer the sugarcane to the Jade Emperor for saving them. I'm not sure if this tradition is another kind of ceremony for prosperity. But by the look and celebration of it, it surely sounds like something that all Chinese respect more than CNY.

This picture shows the burning of gold as an offering to the Jade Emperor in front of my house last night. Though I never really understood the meaning of this festival, I joined in the fun of offering those gold to the Jade Emperor. Maybe, he will bring me more fortune in this year of the Ox.

No comments: