Friday, November 21, 2008

People these days

Last night, as I was opening the gate to enter my house, I heard someone shouting. I turned back to check out what was happening. As it was quite dark, I had to search around to locate where the shouting came from. I saw an old man holding his bicycle. He was frantically screaming at someone who was reversing the car to his direction. I thought that the car was really going to bang into the old man for a second.
No, there was no accident. Thank God! However, it amazed me that, the person who was driving the car, didn't even have the courtesy to get down of his car to apologise to the old man. He just drove away like nothing had happened. What is wrong with people these days? Is it that difficult to just get off the car to check if the old man was ok? That would take less than a minute. Furthermore, they are neighbours.
I guess people these days just don't care for others. Did you say hi to your neighbour this morning? Or, have you ever stopped to talk a little to your neighbours? People in the city these days are just too engaged with themselves. I bet you don't even know your neighbour's surname, let alone knowing if your right door neighbour is a drug dealer and your left door neighbour is an armed robber!

No comments: