Wednesday, May 30, 2007






















Rolex: Oyster Perpetual Date Submariner

Take a closer look at the picture. It's no ordinary piece of paper. It's the warranty card for a Rolex I bought for Sunshine on his birthday. He's been dreaming to own a Rolex for a very long time. So I thought this would be the perfect gift. And since I could afford it, I made his dream come true. Swiped my card for SGD 7,000. I thought it was a good deal, so with no hesitation, I bought it.

Prior to the purchase, I did some research. It's quite a substantial amount that I am investing on a wrist watch. It's like I did it again, when I bought my Omega from Changi Airport in 15 minutes two years ago. This one, I had to consider and save for a couple of months. It was properly planned. Initially, I had my eyes on Explorer II. That costs approximately RM 13,000. But when I went to visit Woo Hing (the sole distributor for Rolex) in Penang, they sold it for RM 15,000. If only they were nicer to me, maybe I would have bought it. But, maybe I didn't look like a potential buyer, I only wore a shirt and jeans. Not exclusive enough to them, maybe. Fine with me, since I was going to Singapore, I'll have a look around there.

So, when I was in Singapore, Alex took me to the shop. Lee Chay Watch Co Pte Ltd, and the lady was very pleasant. She showed me a few Rolexes. And she recommended the Submariner. It was more expansive than what I had budgeted for. When I compared the Explorer II and the Submariner, I was already drowned by it. By far, the Submariner got me. And I decided on it. SGD 7,000 which was approximately RM 15,400.

When I presented the watch to Sunshine, I guess he must be the happiest person on earth at that moment. I was happy that he was so happy.

No comments: