Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Pantai Remis

I did something different last Sunday. Sunshine wanted to go to Pantai Remis to visit one of his old time classmates. I kinda dreaded the trip, I didn't want to go. From what I gathered, Pantai Remis isn't a very interesting place to go, there is only one main road to that small town. Furthermore, it's CNY, most shops or restaurants will be closed as well. So, what on earth am I going to do there? How am I going to kill time while Sunshine catches up with his old pal? I went to the extend of telling Sunshine I didn't want to go, told him that it was going to be boring with seriously nothing to do. But, he insisted.
I gave in, since I didn't have anything in particular to do besides sleeping on that hot Sunday afternoon. So we drove down, reluctantly. The drive was about half an hour out of Taiping. It wasn't that bad, only thing is that the road is kinda winding. Sunshine's friend lives in one of the shop houses on the main road. With one glance, I think I've seen the whole of Pantai Remis.
Oh, I was so wrong. And the fun begins. Just approximately 7km off Pantai Remis' main road, there was a turtle hatchery, near Segari. We went. There were huge turtles there. So many of them. It reminded me of Finding Nemo. I had some fun looking at the few species of turtles there. I’m not sure if that place was a tourist spot or what, but I don’t think many people know about it. After that, we went to the fishing village just behind the main road. Sunshine wanted to buy some mantis prawns and fresh fish. The place stinks. The fishes are really fresh as the boats just came back with their catches. After marketing for the seafood, we had to go back immediately, or else the car is going to smell like a wet market.
The kitchen is really not my place. But since we bought the seafood, we had no choice but to clean them before we stuff it into the freezer. First, we had to clean the fish. I had totally no idea how to get it done. Sunshine did a better job than me. There was this funny fish (I’m not sure what species it was), it had spikes and had to be de-skined. De-skin, as in peel off the outer layer of the skin, not as in removing the scales only. The both of us, having no experience what so ever on this fish, had to get assistance from Sunshine’s mom. She came to the rescue. Second part was with the mantis prawns. Sunshine was busy cutting the sides and head of the prawns while I rinse it with water and try to peel them. Of the 3 kilos that we bought, at the end of the cleaning session, I think we are left with only 1 kilo.
By that time, it was almost 7.30pm. We were hungry. What can I cook? Instant noodles, microwaved. But no, Sunshine wanted mee suah. And he had to ask me to cook mee suah in front of his mom! It was pretty embarrassing for me. Second time I was embarassed in half an hour for my lack of kitchen experience. I turned back to him and whispered, “I don’t know how to cook mee suah!” I think his mom would have guessed it. She offered to cook for us. I was served.
There you go, one fine Sunday afternoon well spent.

No comments: